Chicago, IL asked in Contracts and Small Claims for Missouri

Q: I was n a verbal agreement with my mothe7hr f remodel n update her home which we both lived in she was to pay for half

half material and half the the labor she moved out and lied the entire year n repaid nothing can I make her pay me back for all the work n supplies owed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Some contracts are required to be in writing, such as a contract to purchase real estate. The contract you describe is an oral one and that is okay; however, you would need to prove the terms. In addition, suing a relative is not something that anyone enjoys, so I encourage you to try to work out a resolution. To answer your specific question, you cannot make her pay you anything. You can file a lawsuit and if you win, then you will have a judgment that you still need to collect.

Best wishes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.