Cleveland, TN asked in Family Law and Child Support for Tennessee

Q: Custodial parent lied to get child support after I took care of them for 16 and 14 years. What can I do?

My child's mother and I were together for 17 years. When we split up, she went to court for child support. I was not present because I did not get the subpoena. I started noticing money being taken out of my check. Child support office has told me that I am 69,000 dollars behind in support. I have records proving (from school) that the children lived in our home. She also was getting welfare at same address we lived. I have witnesses that can state that she and I were living together. It has been a few years since this has been taken out and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do? My son was 14 and my daughter was 16 when we split up and stopped living together. I was the only one working for well over 80% of the time. Can she do this to me? I now have a new child that I'm trying to support but it's difficult when I'm paying child support and my children are well over the age of 18 now.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marjorie A Bristol
Marjorie A Bristol
  • Goodlettsville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You can hire an attorney and go back to court to try and fix the error.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.