Saint Louis, MO asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Missouri

Q: I received a letter stating that the "Associate Circuit court has entered a judgment against you and that judgement is"

"now final. We would certainly like to cooperate with you. The sooner you contact us, the sooner we can try to help you take care of this debt." I had no notice to come to court- will my wages get garnished or bank account be frozen? I owe $224 and I live in St. Louis.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: In order for a money judgment to have been entered against you the plaintiff must have gotten you served. Go to the court and ask to view the return of service. It could be that a family member of yours over age 15 was served and that service was therefore valid.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.