Millington, TN asked in Criminal Law for Tennessee

Q: I was the victim of a crime last year on Feb 1st. The criminal case is still ongoing. How long do I have to sue in TN?

My leg was severely broken by someone. I had to have surgery to have my leg repaired. I will have issues forever because of this. The district attorney has been handling my case and I was under the impression that I had to let the criminal case unfold before filing suit against him. Am I too late being that the year has passed even though the criminal case is still going?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence James Arnkoff
Lawrence James Arnkoff
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Your question seems to be has the statute of limitations run on your possible civil claim.

I would need to know if your leg was broken negligently or as a result of an intentional act.

I recommend you find an experienced negligence attorney to help you determine if you have

a compensable injury and if so has the statute of limitations passed. Don't assume that since

a year has passed that the SOL has expired. Consult an attorney. Whether you have a civil

cause of action or not the Judge in the criminal proceedings is required to impose a restitution order

for your damages. Collecting it is another issue. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.