Asked in Criminal Law for Tennessee

Q: Vandilism under $250 and driving on revoked license. case dismissed but they want $250 (restitution). Why?

Opened door with a locksmith present...he allowed me to open it and made keys...and car was parked with 4 way flashers gf was in drivers seat and the car wasn't moving. I gave her the cat and it jumped in the back onto the baby...She jumped in the back and I was shutting the door when the police showed..and the police officer (friend of the landlord) was called out for a potential B.&E. asked me to move the vehicile after I explained I had no license...He explained he was reporting on a call from my apartment and saw I was moving out...He aggressively explained he was good friends with the landlord ( who is an attorney in town) after 9 months of continuances, the said they will dismiss if I pay $250...No evidence of damage to the door and police dashcam can verify I wasn't was parked with hazards on...never entered a plea...I need help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Don Himmelberg
Don Himmelberg
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Nashville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Good job not entering a plea without an attorney present. Call a criminal defense lawyer to discuss your case in a more in-depth manner. Driving on a suspended license in Tennessee can carry jail time and fines over $500, so making your next decision in an informed manner is probably a good idea.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.