Saint Paul, MN asked in Family Law, Domestic Violence and Child Custody for Minnesota

Q: I am a Grandparent to 4 granddaughters that are in harms way with their parents. I want to file for emergency custody.

The parents have several domestic assault convictions, one back in 2015 when the mother stabbed the father twice in front of the kids. The girls were give to myself and my husband to foster until the Mother completed rehab and counseling. The parents are fighting again, and I need to get the girls out of their care before something tragic happens again. I need help filing for emergency custody. Please let me know what my next steps to take would be.

Thank you very much!

1 Lawyer Answer
D. Patrick McCullough
D. Patrick McCullough
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • St. Paul, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: I would suggest you hire a family law attorney to help you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.