Castle Rock, CO asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Colorado

Q: I live in a wildfire prone area backing up to undeveloped, bank owned land . Can I get the bank to mitigate that land?

Land has a large amount of beetle kill. The neighboring properties are all mitigated but the bank land was not sprayed for beetles and now contains a large amount of fire fuel. Is there preliminary action that can be taken, if there is a large fire, is there any negligence on the bank's part?

1 Lawyer Answer
John Roland Lund
John Roland Lund
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Carbondale, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You could file an action for nuisance abatement. That suit would be filed against the bank on behalf of you, and other adjacent owners. You might try having a lawyer write a letter on your behalf first. If the bank responds to that, it would be less time consuming and less costly. Still, the letter would be demanding that the bank abate the nuisance being caused by the excessive fuel load on its property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.