Milwaukee, WI asked in Landlord - Tenant for Wisconsin

Q: My tenants want to leave. I agreed to let them out of the lease but they refuse to leave in a timely fashion. What now?

24 month lease, 17 months to go, they want their full security deposit back. I agreed because I want them out and I want to move back in.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

William F Sulton Esq.

  • Waukesha, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: You have a coupe of options. One is to file an eviction action for unlawfully holding over. Another is to hold the tenants to the terms of the original lease agreement.

Sarah Lynn Ruffi

  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Wausau, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: Do you have a written agreement to terminate the Lease? If not, the lease likely remains in place and they are bound by its terms. If you want them gone and you don't have a written agreement as to when they will vacate, you should plan to hold them to the strict terms of the lease and follow the proper eviction procedure. Make sure that you follow the procedure for a lease over a year.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.