Kirksville, MO asked in Adoption for Missouri

Q: Can my husband adopt my daughter if her biological father is 15,000 dollars behind in child support?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lydia Seifner
Lydia Seifner
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: It doesn't really matter if your ex is behind in child support or not. You and your husband will need to have been married for six months, and if uncontested, your ex needs to simply not respond to the petition, or voluntarily terminate rights. However, if he contests the adoption, you will need to demonstrate that he has been uninvolved and that it is in the child's best interests to be adopted by your husband. Also, if your child is over 14, she will need to consent as well. Talk to an attorney local to you about your adoption options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.