Vandalia, IL asked in Adoption and Child Custody for Illinois

Q: Can we win custody of non relation child we raise over 4 years? mother out of prison and want her back.

Father has custody but we "babysitter" 24/7 for over 4 years now she was 3 and now 7. dont see father much or mother til out of prison and now she has sunday visitation right and now wants full custody. we want full custody of the child can that happen? what should we do? child consider us as grandparent. and mother wont let us see her once she get full custody. should also add that she had 5 kids all 5 taken away. and not allow to see other 4 and now preg again.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You really need to meet with a competent family law attorney as quickly as possible. There are too many "ifs, ands, buts and on the other hands" to give you a good answer without having the chance to ask probing questions to get at the details of what you've written.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.