Asked in Divorce for Colorado

Q: My ex husband has always worked away from home. Our entire marriage and the 5 years since we've had our daughter

Suddenly when faced with what CO calculates for maintenance and child support, given he is rarely here, he is now stating he wants to work locally, taking over a $25 dollar an hour pay cut because he "wants to be closer to our daughter." Which is a blatant lie, he's only doing it because he knows he wouldn't have to pay as much in either support areas.

My main question is will he get away with this? How can the support I deserve be calculated based on this lower income when the duration of our marriage he's made a significant amount more? My attorney doesn't think the judge will tell him he has to work away from our daughter which is fine, but why should I get less because he suddenly decides he needs to work locally when he never attempted to do so while we were married?

It's very scary for me also since I have always been a stay at home mom so that support will help me get on my feet.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen J. Plog
Stephen J. Plog pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You need to consult with another attorney to go through the facts and circumstances of your case and to get a second opinion. Normally someone doesn't just get to lower their pay to spend more time with their kids, absent special circumstances. If the track record has been him working away that is what a court should hold him to. We would all love to work less or have the dream job to spend more time with our kids, whether going through a divorce or not. The financial realities of life generally don't allow that and a court may not either.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.