Prescott, AZ asked in Divorce and Foreclosure for Missouri

Q: How can my son get his ex wife to help pay a mortgage she let go into default?

She caused them to divorce by letting their mortgage go for 6 months causing it to go into default! She also spent their money an an adult website called Ashley Madison something! They have joint custody of their son, but my son has him 5 days or more out of the week! Their bank forclosed on their house and now my son is paying the remainder, how can he get her to help pay on something she defaulted on? Thank you for your help!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lydia Seifner
Lydia Seifner
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: If the divorce degree required her to help him with the mortgage, or to reimburse him for the outstanding debt, then your son can seek a motion for contempt, and demonstrate to the court that she has not paid what she has owed. Have your son speak to an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.