Decatur, GA asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Georgia

Q: I’m trying to find out how to go about adopting a child I have guardianship of for 2 years.

I can’t get in touch with her biological mother for her to sign anything. We live in Georgia. I have had guardianship for 2 years now. She is 10 years old and she wants to have my last name and to be my daughter legally. Her father is in her life. He is willing to let me adopt her.

1 Lawyer Answer

P. Justin Thrailkill

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You need to talk to an attorney about filing. You are going to need to file and get the parents served. To do so, you need to find them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.