Greeley, CO asked in Family Law and Collections for Colorado

Q: I was ordered to pay attorney's fees but cannot pay because I have been on disability

The attorney only asked for $5,000 in attorney's fees in court, and court ordered that I pay attorney's fees under C.R.S 13-17-102 when I have been prose and with harsh assumptions with no facts and disregard to my pleadings to include evidence. I am on disability from work and have no income and was the only person that provided a sworn financial. My ex celebrated by buying a new house but claimed he was poor in court and hasn't submitted a sworn financial since 2014. I just received an affidavit of attorney' fee's via email of over $11,000. I am terrified because I have no income, and a new baby, which caused my disability to begin with. I am scared and don't know what to do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen J. Plog
Stephen J. Plog pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You need to consult with an attorney quickly. A court can order fees if frivolous or baseless motions are filed or things are done and it does not have to take your disability into account. That being said, there may be steps you can take to lessen the amount, challenge the ruling, etc. The specific facts need to be known by and discussed with an attorney before anyone can tell you your options. If you are truly unable to pay right away you may need to prove that down the road.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.