Ogden, UT asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Utah

Q: Lease agreement contract

If I sign a lease that states I am required to pay $3100 for early move out, plus paying rent for the other months left in the term, can I fight that in court? Is it legally acceptable for a property management company (landlord) to make you pay rent for months in which you are not living at the property? Is it legally acceptable to force someone to pay such high fees as well?

1 Lawyer Answer
Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Contract law imposes a duty to mitigate damages. So if you breached the agreement then technically you are responsible to pay rent for the months that you said you would in the contract. However, if the property management company is able to "re-rent" the place quickly then this would relieve of your duty to pay out the contract. They have to give a reasonable effort to mitigate damages, but you are also responsible for the additional expense of getting the place ready to rent, as well as marketing/qualifying expenses for the new tenant.

Sometimes, these fees can be hard to calculate so they will put in a "liquidated damages" clause in the agreement where you agree to pay a fixed sum if you breach the contract and that you agree it is fair and reasonable. Generally, Courts will hold you to the contract as long as the terms are so unfair that it would be termed unconscionable.

I am not sure that it is appropriate to put a liquidated damages clause in a rental agreement as the costs to "re-rent" do not seem that hard to calculate. You could push back on this and make them justify the $3,100 fee, but you probably won't get it down to $0. I hope this helps.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.