Cape Girardeau, MO asked in Adoption and Child Custody for Missouri

Q: Process of adopting a child (my husband's step child)

My husband is divorced, and has a step child from the previous marriage. Her biological dad is not in the picture, and my husband has always been "Dad" to her. Her mother is on board with us adopting her. The mother is wanting part-time contact. This seems like a really unique situation to me. What is the process for something like this? We want to get it finalized so the child has stability.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lydia Seifner
Lydia Seifner
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: This would be a fairly straightforward adoption if mom is consenting and it's what the child wants. If the child is over fourteen, she will need to formally consent as well. The biological father would have to be notified/served in some way and if he either consents or does not respond, then you can move forward with the proceedings. Contact an attorney as soon as possible about the adoption process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.