Aurora, CO asked in Divorce, Family Law, Personal Injury and Child Custody for Colorado

Q: If my ex cohabitation has custody of son but third time found guilt of DV assault goes to jail sign custody to new fema

Ive filed motions to modify already, ive been alienated went 18 days not seeing talking to my son after we were all living daily life together my name wasn't on the lease so I had to leave, he brings a new female in home can abuser sign custody to her? Also do I file a divorce or in civil in regards to the for costs & emotional damages. we've been off & on 11 yrs & he was the homes provider I took care of our son, his dad, the dog & worked 9hrs a week but every time he kicked me out I didn't have place to go my clothes have been thrown out & currently him & new female I was told my belongings in trash bags

1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen J. Plog
Stephen J. Plog pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: He shouldn't be able to just sign custody over to another person. More information is needed and you should consult with a family law attorney to assess if married, your rights, options, etc. If not married any property issues would be civil.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.