Port Saint Lucie, FL asked in Divorce for Florida

Q: can I refile for divorce from Florida if I have already started the process in California?

I filed for divorce in California where my ex lives because I had a attorney that was helping me for free. The divorce got as far as filing the proof of service, but court came back saying that attorney did not file original proof of service document.

Just before receiving that news from the court my attorney had moved out of state and could no longer handle my divorce. I have made several attempts to find out why exactly the court wouldn’t except the document since it was infact the original document signed by the server.

It has been a year now and I have not been able to move forward with the case unless I physically go down to the court house myself and that is not possible as I am in college.

So my question is, is it possible for me to just refile from florida where I live and am able to handle my case personally? I meet the residency requirements, I just wasn’t sure if this was possible because of the open case I have in California.

Thanks in advance

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Fletcher
Cheryl Fletcher
  • Palm Beach Gardens, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You can file a notice of voluntary dismissal in the California divorce case. Assuming that your spouse did not file a counter petition, then the notice of voluntary dismissal should be sufficient to get the case dismissed. Also, the clerk may close the case on its own after a long period of inactivity, without you having to do anything. You may file for a divorce in Florida after you have had six months of residency. Only one spouse needs to meet this residency requirement.


Cheryl Fletcher, Esq.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.