Phoenix, AZ asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Colorado

Q: I just found out I have a 9 year old daughter. Should I seek council?

Regardless of what I want, the Mother and her husband are going to seek adoption. Speaking with her lawyers, she will give assurance she won't go after back child support, even though I just found out about this child. I would like to know my options and if I should seek council.

1 Lawyer Answer
John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You should retain an attorney to fully explore your options. Ordinarily, you would have a responsibility to pay child support, even possibly back to birth, and certainly going forward. You may also have the option of being recognized as the child's legal parent and be entitled to an appropriate relationship with her. You should understand how adoption would impact you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.