Fort Smith, AR asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Arkansas

Q: What can be done if a 6 week summer visitation conflicts with required extra curricular school practices?

The ncp lives 2 states, 20 hour drive, away and the 13 year-old is on the cheerleading team. She only has 4 weeks in a row free from practice. The visitation agreement states 6 weeks in the summer. This was mediated when the child was 6. What options does the custodial parent have?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stewart Whaley
Stewart Whaley
  • North Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: The best option will always be mutual agreement.


1. Quit the activity.

2. Talk to the NCP and work out a schedule that gets the NCP 6 weeks total time (3 and 3, 4 and 2, etc) or some other arrangement. If you can both agree to an alternate schedule, 6 contiguous weeks isn't cast in stone.

A court isn't going to rank cheer leading above the parent-child relationship, so legal action is likely a waste of time and money. Spend it on plane tickets and save 20 hours of drive time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.