Los Angeles, CA asked in Contracts, Estate Planning, Libel & Slander and Probate for Virginia

Q: My mother died and left my only sibling, a "deed of trust" which reduced me to 1/3 of estate. How can I contest this?

My sister has negatively interfered with my relationships with my mother and father for years. She lives in the same town as they do (did, in my mother's case), and I live 7,000 miles away. I traveled to Virginia to be with my mother last December during her last days on Earth in a hospice. My sister withheld all information and legal documents from me, and only just supplied me with a 3-page copy of a "Deed of Trust" four weeks ago, which reduced me to 1/3 of the estate (and 2/3s to my sister and her two children). My sister promised to fly my wife and me in for the memorial and internment (which is this weekend), but then reneged four days ago with an angry email to me. My mother repeatedly told me I was her favorite child (even as recent as 3 months before her death), yet would then be angry with me. I need a good litigator, as I want to fight this. My sister has tortiously interfered in my relationship with my mother, and has behaved secretly and with ill intent.

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Potomac, MD
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: It certainly sounds like you need a lawyer. What I don't read in your story is a question. Let me infer that you are asking how to find a good estate litigator. I suggest you visit Avvo.com. Navigate to Find a Lawyer. Type in the county where your mother resided at time of death. Type in "probate" for type of law. Read the client reviews and endorsements. Ignore the ads.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.