Birmingham, AL asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for Tennessee

Q: Will dhr give me my child back after I've completed my court ordered classes? My next court date is in 6 months.

A policeman called dhr on me due to domestic violence in my home regarding my ex boyfriend. This was the third incident that led to them getting involved. I don't use drugs and my child wasn't harmed. How long is the whole process once dhr becomes involved, and how long will it be before they will allow her to come back home? Right now her grandmother has temporary custody.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kimberly K. Schreiber
Kimberly K. Schreiber
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Memphis, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Unfortunately, the answer is "it depends." Court schedules, attorney schedules, testimony, continuances, it could be more than 6 months and even then you might not get complete custody returned to you. You need a good lawyer that is in juvenile court all the time. Someone who will push for speedy hearings and advocate for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.