Chesapeake, VA asked in Child Custody for Virginia

Q: How can I (the mother) get sole legal custody of my daughter?

My daughter was concieved against my will even though he and I were in a relationship. I was a 17 year old runaway, living with a friend (not him), and he was 28 and is a felon with drug abuse issues. He hid his age from me until I found his facebook. I have no idea where he is now. I know he does not have his OWN place to live. He did not want police to know his location. I am 18 now, working and going to school. Im living with my stepdad (retired military. Currently working) , mother (self employed), and two sisters.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steve Miyares
Steve Miyares
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Norfolk, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: You can petition the Jivenile and Domestic Relations Court to award full custody to you. The JDR court would also be wheee you petition for an order of child support from the father.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.