Arlington, VA asked in Small Claims for Virginia

Q: Can I take someone to court in the state in which I live, even though the wrong was done to my property in another one?

A neighbor was arrested for trespassing on my property and stealing a cellular camera. The property in question is a house/land for sale in Louisiana, but I currently reside in Virginia(moved last year). I cannot fly to Louisiana for court proceedings, as the airfare might be more than the small claim! But it seems that it would be unjust to forbid me from taking him to court here in Virginia ... after all, he’s the criminal currently in jail. I would think that the inconvenience should rightly fall on the wrong-doer.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steve Miyares
Steve Miyares
  • Norfolk, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Virginia does not have jurisdiction over an issue in Louisiana. But before you try anything else, you should check with the prosecutor in Louisiana who handled the criminal prosecution of this case. I am not licensed in Louisiana to know the answer, but it is possible that as part of his sentence on the criminal case, he might have been irdered to pay you reatituion. The Louisiana prosecutor should be able to give you that information. Good luck

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.