Asked in Immigration Law for New York

Q: I sent the papers to take conditions off my Green Card before expiration date, now it's expired and i still didnt receiv

Hi, i have a 2 year Green card ( through marriage), i filed the paperwork to take the conditions off and get a ten year Green card, i filed the papers 2 weeks before expiration date and now my Green card expired but i still didn't receive anything from immigration, also they still didn't cash my check, should i contact them? I have a post office receipt that my paperwork was delivered before the expiration date

Thank you

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Shan Dimitris Potts
Shan Dimitris Potts
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Glendale, CA

A: Hello,

I think you might not have been aware of the processing times for I-751 (Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence). Depending on which processing center your petition was filed to it might take anywhere from 12 weeks to 41 weeks for USCIS to make a decision on your petition. In the meantime, you should contact an immigration attorney to find out how you can extend your green card status since your green card has expired.

All the best.

-Shan Potts

+1 (323) 803 7147

Like our facebook page for regular immigration and visa updates -

15 years of successful immigration law experience. The answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered are of a general nature only and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Carl Shusterman agrees with this answer

Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA

A: You may want to schedule an InfoPass appointment with the USCIS to see what is going on with your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.