Lewisburg, TN asked in Family Law and Divorce for Tennessee

Q: My ex won't come get his stuff he left behind at my house, after living together for 10 yrs & its been over for 1.5 yrs

I informed him 20 days ago that he had 20 days to come pick the stuff up. He's cancelled twice & is now presuming I won't let him have his stuff; despite my attempts to let him know whatever was his is still his but I won't it gone. Otherwise I said I'd donate to goodwill. However, he called a cop and a cop came by and said he was carrying me to court. I really haven't done anything except try to work with him about getting his stuff. The cop said I couldn't get rid of any of his stuff.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kimberly K. Schreiber
Kimberly K. Schreiber
  • Memphis, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You need to consult your Marital Dissolution Agreement. It usually says that each spouse is keeping the personal property in their possession or provides details about the property settlement. If it doesn't provide any guidance you could send him a storage bill and a certified letter asking him to come get his property. You could also have an attorney send him a letter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.