Pittsburgh, PA asked in Adoption and Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Hi, How can I terminate the rights of my children’s father? My new husband would like to adopt.

Their bio dad hasn’t seen them in almost 4 years and when he decides to it’s far and few between the last. My daughter is 15 and asked if my husband can adopt her and her brother. He has been raising them for 8 years.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: The children's bio dad can voluntarily agree to terminate his parental rights or you can file with the court to have them involutarily terminate. The termination and adoption procedures are complicated and paper intensive so I suggest that you consult with an experienced family law attorney in your area for details as to how this would proceed in your county.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.