Detroit, MI asked in Criminal Law for Michigan

Q: Being around firearm and passing the background check for a firearm purchase

Convicted of 750.234b (A) discharge firearm at occupied dwelling (attempt) in April of 2011. 1 year probation was my sentence. The sentence carried a max of 4 years but with the attempt statue that would reduce too 2 years and be considered a "misdemeanor" can I be charged with felon in possesion if I am with someone who has a firearm? On a side note I have an expungement hearing scheduled for June of this year. I have one prior misdeameanor from 1990 for underage purchasing of alcohol. I am 45 now. Have no criminal issues since the incident in 2011. In your professional opinion what are my odds of having this expunged?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jasmine D. Rippy
Jasmine D. Rippy
  • Detroit, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: If the maximum sentence for the underlying crime is 4 years, then your conviction for attempting to commit that crime would result in a misdemeanor on your record. Therefore, you would not be charged with felon in possession due to this conviction.

Whether or not your expungement will be granted depends on the judge, whether the prosecutor objects and what you have been doing since your conviction. For example, some judges require proof of community service.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.