Lansing, MI asked in Child Support for Georgia

Q: Yes I’m 45 and have been divorced for almost 3 years. I adopted her two kids and we had one together ages 18,16,5

I have paid my child support every week out of my check. We agreed on $198 a week. My oldest and my middle one do not come see me at all. I only get the youngest one. They know there suppose to but don’t cause there Mom don’t make them. My question is can I do anything about dropping the child support any? The lawyer I had was not very good as I have been finding out. The oldest graduates high school but I still have to pay till he is at the age of 20. Is there any chance of me getting any of this reversed. If I was to try and hire a lawyer can I have my child support dropped any so I can make it a little better than what I am. Thanks

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Regina Irene Edwards

  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: No one is going to be able to answer your question without reviewing your paperwork. Whether or not you can get a reduction depends on a variety of factors - what your income is now, her income is now, what the expenses of the children are, etc. Also, child support until 20 is rare. Most child support is paid until graduation and age 18, expect that if the child is still in high school, then it's paid until age 20. The fact that you don't see 2 of them is a factor that would make your support go up, not down, as you aren't incurring expenses for them when they visit. It's also possible that support for 2 children could be about the same as what you are paying for 3. You are paying $857 per month. If the support dropped at all, it would probably be in an amount that would take you years to break even on the attorneys fees to get it - if you got the reduction at all. With an amount that low, you probably should let it be.

Paula J. Mcgill

  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Unfortunately, child support isn't tied to whether the children follow the visitation schedule.

You can file a motion for contempt against her for the middle child. However, at 16, that child has the right to voice his/her choice on visitation/custody. Normally, judges will not follow the wishes of the child who wants no contact with the parent unless there are allegations of abuse.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.