Flowery Branch, GA asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Georgia

Q: how do I get restitution that is owed to me? defendant has not been paying for a long time

the incedent happened in 2013 and the defendant has not come close to paying what is owed. i have called his probation officer, the courthouse, and the department of corrections and no one will help me.

1 Lawyer Answer
David S West
David S West
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Marietta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I would recommend you contact the District attorney in the county where the person was sentenced. They usually have a victim-witness unit who can assist you with your restitution situation. If it’s a smaller office, check with the District Attorney themself. That is part of their job. An attorney unfortunately will not be able to assist you with this. But I hope this helps!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.