La Fayette, GA asked in Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: How long can Walker county Georgia hold an inmate for extradition to another state

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David S West
David S West
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Marietta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: A county jail can hold an inmate for up to 30 days for another state under what is called a Governor’s warrant from the other state. If the other state has not picked up the inmate within that time period, they should be released. If not, then you may need an attorney to fight their continued detention and get them released. Ordinarily, states will come get someone within 10-15 days of their being picked up though. That is the most common time they must wait. You should also know that an attorney can also seek an extradition bond that allows the defendant to be released - to then travel on their own back to the state to answer to the charges. Highly skilled criminal lawyers know how to handle this type of bond.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.