Asked in Criminal Law for Tennessee

Q: I was a passenger in a car when an officer pulled us over. He smelled the odor of marijuana and eventually searched my

Purse by unzipping it and finding a grinder and scale. Charged with possession of an instrument of crime and drug paraphernalia. What can I do? Was this search legal?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence James Arnkoff
Lawrence James Arnkoff
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: The best thing you could do is hire an experienced criminal defense attorney.

Any conviction be it a misdemeanor or felony can have adverse consequences in

your future. You may have a viable motion to suppress the search of your purse

and maybe the stop of the vehicle but you could never successfully navigate

those procedural motions without a skilled attorney.

Anthony M. Avery agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.