Asked in Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: I have read case law where ppl have upon pleading guilty they reserved there right to appeal the trial courts decision.

Is that no longer an option in Georgia??

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

David S West

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Marietta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Everyone in Georgia has two ways to appeal after a plea. If they file a Notice of Appeal within 30 days of their plea and sentence then they can appeal directly to the Court of Appeals. If it has been less than four years for a felony or one year for a misdemeanor since the plea then a habeas corpus appeal can be filed as well. This is an attack on the plea or sentence on constitutional grounds. We handle both of those in Georgia and are very familiar with the options here.

David Edward Boyle

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Monroe, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You would be incorrect, that option was available many years in the past but is no longer an option.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.