Hawkinsville, GA asked in Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: Why does the state pursue. To go to court when the victim saying I didn't commit. Arrgavatted assult

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
David Edward Boyle
David Edward Boyle
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Monroe, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The State is the entity that brings the charges and decides whether to go to trial. The State is not bound by the wishes of the victim. The victim is merely a witness who would be called for the State to prove their case. If the victim does not desire the State to prosecute they can let the State know of that desire and can make proving the case difficult for the State.

Titus Thomas Nichols agrees with this answer

Titus Thomas Nichols
Titus Thomas Nichols pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Marietta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: There could be additional evidence that would allow the State to prove that you had committed the offense charged.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.