Richmond, VA asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Virginia

Q: Can a parent terminate their parental rights after losing custody in Virginia? Would child support still be obligated..

After termination? custody was filed under the false pretense the mother was unable to be contacted or located. And was excluded from the custody proceedings. Is termination of parental custody permanent if filed in state of Virginia?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sharon R. Moss
Sharon R. Moss
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Manassas, VA

A: Did you lose custody or did the state terminate your rights? They are two very different things. If you lost custody, but not parental rights, then child support is still an obligation for the non-custodial parent.

A parent can not voluntarily terminate their rights to a child unless there is someone that wants to adopt the child. Then a parent may sign documentation allowing the other person to adopt the child, in which case the biological parent would no longer be obligated to support the child. Please speak to an attorney for more specific advise on your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.