Chicago, IL asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Gov & Administrative Law for Wisconsin

Q: Can a monetary tort claim be amended even if I've filed my lawsuit already and I discovered new evidence to ask for more

Put a monetary amount in my tort claim while in prison. Got out hired a lawyer and filed lawsuit and now realizing I need to ask for more money because I didn't no my limitations of my injuries while in jail. Once out its a lot I can't do. Can't drive can't work need full time personal care worker and whole quality of life is gone but didn't know this until I came home because I thought I would still be able to do certain things so now I want to adjust the amount I asked for with this new found evidence

1 Lawyer Answer
Robert D. Kreisman

A: In most jurisdictions a complaint may be amended anytime up through judgment as long the amendment conforms to the proofs. In your situation depending on your state's procedural law, I think it would be routine to amend your complaint to raise the ad damnum (or the claim for damages) that are in keeping with what you believe to be your damages for your injuries. In my county where I principally practice, a complaint for damages other than in contract would be alleged to be an amount in excess of $50,000. That is the jurisdictional limit for cases handled in the law division as opposed to the municipal department that handles cases valued at less than that amount.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.