Asked in Child Custody for Arkansas

Q: If my fiance’s child’s mother has been on drugs and in and out of jail would it be pretty easy for us to get custody?

My fiancé had a child who is now almost 7. He has never been able to see his son because his mother keeps him from him and his name isn’t on the birth certificate or anything. We have found out recently that she has been on meth and in and out of jail for the past year and still somehow has custody of her son. We feel like it’s best for us to try and go for full custody so he can have that important relationship with his father that he has stripped from him. What do we need to do from here and who should we contact?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stewart Whaley
Stewart Whaley
  • North Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: You should contact an attorney with child custody experience. You need to establish paternity, them move towards visitation and custody

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.