Carlisle, PA asked in Adoption, Family Law and Immigration Law for Pennsylvania

Q: How to adopt a now adult step child?

My step father (a legal immigrant whom has a green card) of 28 years, id like to adopt me. I just like him to legally be my "dad" because he is the only father i know and we have been very close my whole life. How to go sbout and what steps to take.

2 Lawyer Answers
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Your situation is not uncommon, and it's great that you both would take this formal action to solidify your relationship. Often your local court of common pleas (the big courthouse in your county seat) has forms that you can obtain and use as a guide. Contact the "Prothonotary" of your local "Orphans' Court" and ask them. You'll need to file paperwork and a filing fee, and then you'll need to appear in court at a hearing.

Question, however: is your biological father still alive? If so, he'll have to simultaneously terminate his parental rights -- and he may not agree to do that. If that's the case, I'd consult with a local family law attorney that handles adoptions for further advice. Best of luck to you.

Carl Shusterman agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA

A: Your question does not relate to US immigration law. See an adoption attorney. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.