Charleston, WV asked in Wrongful Death for West Virginia

Q: Lawyers put me out of Estate administration 4 days prior to settlement. I started the wrongful death and had contract.

The attorney I hired, went around me to beneficiaries and they thought they were signing for another family member to sit in front of jury. They didn't know what they signed, the lawyer induced the person who set up estate after me into settling. Lawyer accepted settlement without authority. A lot of unethical happenings. Please help!!!

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: I would need more factual information before I could give you any meaningful advice. The personal representative has the authority to settle the case. If you were in the class of persons entitled to make a claim for damages, you had a potential claim for damages from the wrongful death settlement.

What was your relationship to the decedent? If you had no relationship, your recovery may be limited.

You should contact another plaintiff's attorney in the Charleston area and discuss your options. I could discuss your situation, but I am too far from Charleston to actively represent you.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: You, other beneficiaries need to contact an estate attorney, possibly a wronful death attorney, to file an objection to any settlement. Contact the bar association for the county where the estate is for the names of some.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.