Fremont, CA asked in Probate for Indiana

Q: How a beneficiary requests a copy of an inventory of estate's assets form/filing.

My husband’s father, a resident of Elkhart City, passed away in May. He did not leave any paperwork designating an executor/administrator/personal representative to his estate; although he did have a will.

My husband has three siblings (all are adults). All four of them are in agreement to allow the only sister to petition to have the decedent’s estate administered without court supervision and act as the personal representative for probate purposes.

After his sister is appointed as the personal representative, my husband wishes to request a copy of any forms that may get filed pertaining to the inventory of the estate’s assets, any modifications to that inventory, and any final version that may be filed with Probate court.

Would he make a written request directly to his sister, or to the court directly? Is there a form we could download? We live in California, if that makes a difference.

Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William J Webster
William J Webster
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Westfield, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: After her appointment as Personal Representative, your husband's sister will typically file an Inventory with the Court, which is public record. As Personal Representative she should provide copies of the inventory, asset info, etc... to beneficiaries. However if the estate is unsupervised, the Court will not be overseeing the Personal Representative to ensure she is properly administering the estate.

If for some reason the Personal Representative refuses or fails to provide the requested information, you can always request the estate be supervised. Once the estate is supervised the Personal Representative has to seek approval from the Court before selling, transferring assets or paying expenses. I would try to work with the Personal Representative directly prior to requesting the estate be supervised as a supervised estate will typically take longer as everything has to be approved by the Court.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me at 317-565-1818.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.