Marcus Hook, PA asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Pennsylvania

Q: My grandparents don't have custody but I live with them. I'm 16. Can my boyfriends parents get custody of me ?

I'm 16. My mom and dad have custody of me but they are locked up. I live with my grandparents and have for awhile but they never had custody of me. There health is really bad so that's why they never fought for custody. I don't like how I get treated in my grandparents house. Can my boyfriends parents get custody of me? I fell happier and treated like family with them but here I get treated like poop and mostly get called bad names.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Probably not. I wonder if you might consider being a bit more sympathetic to your grandparents. You say they're health isn't good but they're still providing you with a home to live in, food to eat, and clothing to wear. It may be pretty difficult for people their age to deal with a teenager just like it seems difficult for you to deal with the older folks, but they're family and that means a lot.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.