Decatur, GA asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Collections and Family Law for Georgia

Q: Is it legal for a parent to continue to collect child support on a child who is living with the paying parent?

Cps placed child with father, but mother is collecting cs from his paycheck. We have a court order to stop the deduction, but she went to ocse and opened a case saying he failed to pay.

We have contacted ocse, but its a mess, and They continue to deduct while "investigating".

1 Lawyer Answer
Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: It sounds like a child support modification may need to be done, but without being able to review the facts of the case in detail it's difficult to give a thorough response. You should consider consulting with an attorney can review the facts and help you plan the proper course of action. -Homer P. Jordan IV, Esq. 404-620-1558

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.