Jonesboro, LA asked in Estate Planning for Louisiana

Q: Ok so my husbands dad whom we lived with and took care of until day he died had a hand written will it was not signed or

Or dated or noterized but however he did leave my husband the land and many knew about it. How would we go about changing land over to my husband

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Scotto Wedig
Regina Scotto Wedig
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Amite, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Unfortunately, the handwritten will not be accepted by a court. A handwritten will must be dated and signed by the person making the will. However, if your husband has siblings or his dad's spouse is still alive, they may be willing to donate their interest to him. In addition, Louisiana does not usually recognize a claim by a child for taking care of a parent. Such action is considered one of the obligations children owe to their parents and parents owe to their children.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.