Nampa, ID asked in Criminal Law for Idaho

Q: Should I obtain a lawyer in Ca. or Idaho ?

My brother has embezzled over $130,000 from our mother's trust, over a 4-5 year period. He WAS the Trustee, and worked as a financial advisor, I am the beneficiary. He has since revoked his trusteeship, and I have the POA . He has been arrested in Chino, Ca. (re-file pending, needing more evidence) I live in Meridian, Id. and Mom (95 yrs old w/ Alzheimer's) is living in Assisted Living, in Boise. I would like to file a civil suit for restitution of the monies that were embezzled.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark R Petersen
Mark R Petersen
  • Pocatello, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: If the Trust's location is Idaho and the funds were embezzled in Idaho, then it is likely you can pursue the case in Idaho. Idaho's "long arm statute" (the law that allows you to serve a non-resident) would determine if he can be served in California.

Determination of jurisdiction and the ability to serve an out of state resident with a Summons can be tricky. As a result, I would highly suggest you meet with an attorney and review the facts to make a final determination if jurisdiction is in Idaho.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.