Rome, GA asked in Patents (Intellectual Property) for Georgia

Q: What is the process to give partial ownership of a patent to another party? Is this done in a court or the patent office

Is there a formal application & a legal process to transfer partial ownership to another person? Where is the application filed at? The library of congress (patent office), or the courthouse ? Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn
  • Patents Lawyer
  • Pittsboro, NC

A: You can assign a portion of the patent ownership to another person by a type of contract called an assignment.

You can record the assignment with the USPTO via

In many cases, it is easier to give a person a portion of the company formed to work the patent than to assign a portion of the patent. There are lots of ways that this can end up as a mess so you need to discuss what it is you hope to achieve with an attorney used to doing these sort of transfers.

If a person is a co-owner of the patent, is it your intention that the co-owner may use the patent rights without paying royalties? Can that person license others? Can the person sell the fractional ownership to a big company and not share any of the sales prices with you? This needs to be carefully thought out.

I hope this helps.

Kevin E Flynn

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.