Denver, CO asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Colorado

Q: No established custody, what are the possibilities?

My daughter is 10 years old. Her father and I have never been married. His name is not on the birth certificate. There has never been any custody established. I moved out of state 2 years ago. If I file for child support and a court order is granted, will my daughter's father have a say in whether she can stay living out of state? Or will he still need to establish a custody? Will he have to back-pay for the years that no order was in place? I want financial help, but don't want to have to move back Missouri.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Missouri has jurisdiction over custody issues since the child has been there for at least the last 6 months. It is unlikely the court would order the child to return to Colorado. However, the father may get some visitation rights. The court could order some back support depending on the facts. You should retain an attorney to help you with this

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.