Asked in Social Security for Louisiana

Q: I was receiving social security death benefits from my moms passing when I was 15 till I was 19 and 2 months.

I was receiving social security death benefits from my moms passing when I was 15 till I was 19 and 2 months old cause I was still in school. But I was the payee from 18 until 19 and 2 months old. I didn’t live under my aunts roof and her and my uncle were taking my checks to their bank where I didn’t even have an account, forging my signature, and cashing them for themselves. Could I sue the bank and my aunt and uncle for doing this or just my aunt and uncle?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Douglas Lee Bryan
Douglas Lee Bryan
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Marksville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: In addition to suing the one who forged your name, you can also press criminal charges against him/her for forgery. You should notify Social Security also and report the fraud. They may help you recover your benefits that were stolen.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.