Beaverton, OR asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Oregon

Q: Is it legal in Oregon to force one father to pay for his and another fathers child?

I currently am going thru custody an essentially did not like the outcome the court gave me. But essentially what I'm getting at is that im wondering if it's legal for a father in oregon to sign his parental rights away, so that way he does not have to pay child support. But I myself did not sign such papers let alone ever heard of a thing is having to pay an unfair amount of support because the mother is playing victim regardless of the proof of neglect I have given. But besides that point, I'm baby daddy #2 put of 3 and the mother is paying child support for her oldest which she lost custody of. An out of the two younger ones mine being the middle child I am paying child support. Is the state suppose to be making the other father of the youngest pay child support instead of making only one father pay? Doesnt seem ethically or morally right to do so. It's like punishing one parent for her life choices and that she now has three kids with three different people.

1 Lawyer Answer
Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Beaverton, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You cannot sign away your responsibility to pay child support unless the child is adopted by another person. Your monthly support obligation is based upon your and mother's incomes, and should take into account that mother has two "non-joint" children. This factor could actually increase your child support obligation. Whether the father of one of mother's other children is actually paying child support should not affect your child support obligation under the presumed amount of support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.