Pendleton, OR asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Oregon

Q: I have proof my dad has verbally abused me. This has been happening for some time. I'm depressed. Can I be adopted??

I'm depressed here and my dad is a drunk who's very controlling and abusive, I can't live with my mom right now because of a misunderstanding concerning a legal issue with her boyfriend, can my best friends mom adopt me so I can be in a stable household my senior year??, she's loved me more than he ever has and treated me like an actual daughter and I would like to be in a stable home for once, it's emotionally hard on me to go through his abuse and be away from home. Is there any way she can adopt me without his signature?? I love my other mom more than my own father, and he makes me feel like a horrible person...he would never give up control over me willingly but I'm scared he's going to hurt me.

1 Lawyer Answer
M. Nicole Clooten
M. Nicole Clooten
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Pendleton, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: In short, not at this time. It sounds like what needs to happen is for you to disclose this abuse to either a counselor or to Child Protective Services. Generally they will place you with the closest stable family member who is willing to provide care. However, be aware that your father will eventually learn of the report. This question is very complicated and many more facts are needed to answer it completely.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.