Memphis, TN asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for Tennessee

Q: I was assaulted by a police officer on duty was not arrested he busted in my house without warrant and denied me medical

He was also being investigated for body found in van 41 daus before he assaulted me i was bleeding from handcuffs he wouldnt call ambulance or lutinant when i requested he entered my house without warrant iab would not take my report initially i filed a police report dor assault to prosecute but he still working and hasnt been charged after i filed report the witnesses has even said it was so brutal what they seen they are even scared to deal with police now but memphis will not release body can footage even after iab verififed that the officer entered my house without probable cause i have the cronoligy as well as the pictures of my arms after being released and not cited or arrested all i got was im sorry i begged for ambulance 35 + min in police car and was bleeding from my hands where cuffs were so tight i was dragged out of my house and searched by a man in presence of woman officer my tooth was chipped and only because i said i was calling director he got angry and did this

2 Lawyer Answers

Mr. Kent Thomas Jones Esq.

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: I don't think that there is really a way to provide a truly accurate answer based on these facts alone. I believe that you should consult with local counsel who will know more about the situation.

Anthony M. Avery

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You will need to find a competent attorney that will sue the Police for a § 1983 cause of action. This will be a Government Tort Liability Action, probably in Federal Court, without a Jury, and your damages are capped.

You must file within a year of the injuries. Get your medical records and bills together, obtain whatever Police Incident Report was generated, and start looking for a good lawyer that has experience with GTLA's/§ 1983's.

You will be able to Discover evidence from the Police after you file suit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.